At the moment in the UK we are enjoying some gorgeous Summer weather. The only downside is that because we don’t often experience real heatwaves like the one we are currently having, we struggle to find something to wear. Some of us will have clothes that only come out for holidays and the rare heatwave and some of us will just make do with what we have. As we do seem to be having more weather extremes including hot spells here are some tips for how to cope and what to wear in the heat.
What to wear in the heat
Choose lighter weight, natural fabrics like fine cotton, linen and silk. Viscose works well too, although man made it is made from wood pulp so it is natural. This whisper silk poncho is perfect. I have layered it here with a linen vest top, but wear it alone with a flesh coloured bra or over swimwear on holiday.
Choose shorts – as I did above – or skirts. If you are wearing a loose top, choose something a little more fitted for the bottom half to balance it out. But again choose a natural fabric so that you don’t overheat.
Alternatively if it is really hot and you don’t want a fitted waistband look for a shift style dress or one like this with a drawstring that you can leave a little loose. This one is made from an incredibly soft and lightweight laundered linen.
Choose lighter or brighter colours rather than black which feels too heavy when it’s really hot.
A few more tips for coping with the heat stylishly:
- Choose a pair of dark sunglasses to protect your eyes
- Wear underwear in natural fabrics too
- Wear a stylish hat to protect your head, which can also get painfully sunburnt (she says from experience)
- If you have long hair wear it up, or consider a shorter style for the Summer months
- Keep makeup to a minimum, choose a tinted moisturiser with SPF and waterproof products that won’t run in the heat
- Moisturise and protect any exposed skin and remember to keep drinking lots of water
- Accessorise with painted nails, a brighter lipstick and a fake tan rather than jewellery
More great pieces to wear in the heat:
Finally if you are getting ready for a holiday and need some help why not try out the done for you Holiday Capsule Wardrobe. Or get me to create a personalised capsule wardrobe for you – choose the 12 item option.