How to Add your Personality to your Capsule Wardrobe

How do you make your capsule wardrobe unique to you? And how is it two women can wear the same dress and look completely different? It’s all about personality and dressing the real you. There was an interesting discussion in the Facebook group this week about this so I thought I would give you some tips on dressing your personality and how to discover what to add to your capsule wardrobe so it becomes truly yours.

I try not to put my clients into boxes so although they may have Soft colouring and have guidelines for the right colours, I think if there is a colour you love and you want to wear it then go ahead, because that is adding your personality. In the same way you may have completed a quiz that tells you your Style Personality but we don’t all fit into these “standard” boxes. You may have elements of more than one. Use my descriptions below but then expand on them rather than following them rigidly.

I’ve chosen one wrap dress and shown you how different personalities could accessorise it.

The Natural

What she loves:

Neutral colours, cotton, linen, denim, relaxed styles, Boyfriend jeans, boots, chunky knits, minimal makeup, easy care hair, wooden beads, saddle or bucket style bags.

How to add personality to a capsule wardrobe,

Buy the look:

The Classic

What she loves:

Navy is her go to neutral, natural high quality fabrics, tailoring, neat and fitted styles, scarves tied in a simple knot, perfectly polished makeup and nails, a bobbed or perfectly blow dried hair style, pearls or simple gold and silver jewellery, court shoes, a classic tote or shoulder bag (no obvious labels)

How to add personality to a capsule wardrobe,

Buy the look:

The Creative

What she loves:

Colour, unusual details, texture, prints especially hand painted, one off pieces of jewellery, curly hair and nail art, innovative designs and shapes, handmade accessories, hats.

How to add personality to a capsule wardrobe,

Buy the look:

The Minimalist

What she loves:

Clean lines, monochrome, fine jewellery, a signature red lipstick, quality over quantity, angles, asymmetric hemlines, crisp fabrics or those with a sheen, straight perfectly styled hair, a French polish on her nails.

How to add personality to a capsule wardrobe,

Buy the look:

The Glamour Girl

What she loves:

Details, makeup especially lipstick and nail varnish, feminine hairstyles, velvets, silks, cashmere anything tactile, heels or embellished flats, softly draping styles that show off her figure, sparkle and shimmer, rings, earrings, bangles, semi precious and real stones, reds, metallics and pretty pastels.

How to add personality to a capsule wardrobe,

Buy the look:

Your dominant colouring can suit some style personalities better than others so you may need to work harder at finding the right pieces to bring out your personality. For example, a natural works well with Soft colouring and a creative would love Bright colouring. So if you are a natural but have Bright colouring think more about shapes and fabrics, you could choose a bright pink linen dress with a denim jacket and wooden beads.

Do you see yourself in one of these descriptions, or like I do in more than one? Let me know in the comments below and if you have found the perfect brand for your personality I’d love to know.

17 Comments

1. Claire East
    June 3, 2016 / 2:21 pm

Hi Maria,

Thank for this weeks blog on personality. I think I am a mix between natural and classic. I’ve found my go to brand of the season is Hush. I was surprised to find that the clothes feel really good even though I’m theory they may not suit my 5ft 3″ column body shape! I’ve never really shopped before but since having my style boost done I’m much more confident about my colours and how to make sensible decisions about what to buy. Thank you!

• Maria
      June 3, 2016 / 2:27 pm

Hi Claire,
      Thank you for your comment – Hush is definitely a brand for a natural personality so it sounds like you are on the right track. I’m so pleased your Style Boost has helped you and given you the confidence to shop for what suits you.
      Have a lovely weekend.

2. Pat
    June 3, 2016 / 3:34 pm

Great tips, Maria. I was surprised about the comments regarding how you run your business. You do share your love of style and fashion so generously with your fans, but you are in business, for profit…….I understand.

As for me, I am a retired business woman, live in the casual, coastal zone of Southern California. My difficulty is transitioning from classic styles to cute, sporty-luxe everyday wear. This style lends itself to black, white, brights, none of which suit my softer autumn coloring. You are the only person recognizing brights as an important factor in a style personality. You have inspired me to not give up (or settle for OK), just keep looking.

Just had to tell you how much I look forward to your posts and hopefully, one day, I can shop with you in the UK.

A faithful fan,
    Pat

• Maria
      June 3, 2016 / 4:49 pm

Thank you Pat for your kind comments. It is a big change from business wear to the laid back southern Californian style but I must say I would mind giving it a go, such a lovely place to live 🙂 You could choose linens in some soft neutrals, peach, cream and muted blues, but you are right don’t settle for what doesn’t make you happy and feel good. Have a lovely weekend.

3. Anne
    June 3, 2016 / 5:05 pm

Maria, I love your personality post this week. I can’t wait to try this out. It would be great to see something similar with Autumn clothes.
    Anne.

• Maria
      June 5, 2016 / 2:43 pm

Thank you Anne, I will bear that in mind as a blog post subject. 🙂

4. Andrea
    June 3, 2016 / 8:20 pm

Hi Maria,
    Great post. At home I must be a glamour girl – anything sparkly ! So maybe magpie! For work a classic. I have some creative thrown in – love the Sophia Webster heels!

Andrea

• Maria
      June 5, 2016 / 2:44 pm

Hi Andrea, thank you for your comment – I think many of us have bits of several. And you are right sometimes we have to “play” a certain way for work too but you could add some personality with jewellery maybe.

5. Lynne
    June 3, 2016 / 10:58 pm

Great post. As I read through your post I thought I’m a classic. Then thought no I’m minimalistic then realised I’m really a glamour girl, although never considered myself as that.

Your great glamour look has inspired me to go and get red sandals and bag for my summer holiday wardrobe.

• Maria
      June 5, 2016 / 2:46 pm

Hi Lynne, Like you I am very tempted with red sandals, I definitely have some glamour girl and wish I could wear those sandals but mine will have to be a wedge or a block heel I think. Thank you for commenting.

6. Alison
    June 5, 2016 / 10:39 am

I have just come across your website and am loving your posts.
    I think your capsule examples are a work of art
    I am soft and cool colouring and I think I veer towards minimalistic, in that I don’t like too many fussy details and patterns. However, the white jacket in the minimalistic example above is too contrasting for my colouring . I don’t know what colour jacket would be right. In the past, because I have so much navy, I would have worn a navy jacket with this outfit, (all navy) which is too boring. What colour jacket would a soft colouring wear in this minimalist example?

• Maria
      June 5, 2016 / 2:48 pm

Hi Alison thank you for your comment and welcome to the Looking Stylish club! You are right the white and navy would be too contrasting. But maybe a soft pink or cream or another shade of blue as Softs look good with tone on tone colour and you could swap out the navy dress for a softer blue too.

• Alison
        June 11, 2016 / 9:48 am

Thank you Maria for your reply. I thought I was minimalist, but after studying your website and being a bit more confidant with colours, I think I am also a creative at heart.

7. Gill Evans
    June 6, 2016 / 11:03 am

Thanks for all your advice over the years Maria. My sister and I very much enjoy your posts and were very surprised to read negative comments had been made. We both feel this is totally unjustified. Your aim is clearly to signpost and suggest NOT sell! Keep up the hard work you do on our behalves, we love your ideas. xx

• Maria
      June 8, 2016 / 6:51 am

Thank you Gill for your kind comments I am so pleased that you enjoy the blog. You can’t please everyone but I try to keep a balance between free and paid advice and I have lots of lovely readers like you and your sister.

8. Diane Richardson Clarke
    June 9, 2016 / 11:24 am

I love this article, so clever showing how one outfit can be worn in so many different ways! Thanks Maria!

• Maria
      June 10, 2016 / 2:02 pm

Thank you Diane, It’s how I do maths – fashion maths, one outfit lots of ways to wear 🙂