Mini Capsule Wardrobe – Autumn Casual Buys You Can Wear Now and Later

This week I am working from a rented house in Pembrokeshire and I’ve been reminded that though it may be high summer, we can expect anything from the weather in the UK! We had beautiful sunshine yesterday and mid 20 degrees then pounding rain as we went to bed. Whilst we may not want to think about Autumn clothes, there are some pieces that it is worth adding to your down time capsule wardrobe which you will be able to wear now and into the autumn (after we’ve had the Indian summer in October when we have put all our summer things away for next year!)

Here is a mini capsule wardrobe that will make weekend/casual dressing easy:

mini casual capsule wardrobe

A classic Barbour coat will keep you dry and warm and can be worn now over T-shirts and in the colder weather over knits.

An easy jersey Breton stripe dress. Add a necklace or scarf and layer it under a chunky cardigan or denim jacket when the weather turns chilly. On warmer days wear it bare legged with trainers or flat sandals.

A cosy chunky knit in Chambray blue goes over anything and will be perfect for early cooler Autumn days, for the school run or weekend shopping.

A lightweight jumper can be worn with jeans or casual trousers at the weekend but this one would look equally good with navy tailored trousers or with a pair of shorts at the seaside.

The Breton stripe T-shirt is one of those classics that every wardrobe needs. When you have a weekend don’t know what to wear dilemma this is the answer. Get the classic Parisian look by wearing it with chinos and ballet flats or with more casual joggers for a lazy Sunday at home.

A great pair of comfortable jeans – not too skinny, these are a little looser through the thigh – to wear now with sandals or this summer’s must have, the espadrille. But you can still wear them in the Autumn over a pair of boots.

Joggers have gone from the gym to everyday wear. Add a jersey blazer and a pair of flats or trainers (see below) for running weekend errands or wear with your Breton Tee, a pair of cashmere socks and a cosy knit for Autumn evenings at home.

Classic chino style trousers are easy to dress up or down. They work perfectly with the Breton Tee but could equally be worn with a blazer for a more casual work day. Heels or flats work too, making them a versatile trouser that will earn their cost per wear.

For accessories a small saddle bag style handbag is Autumn’s must have and a navy tote is practical for work and weekends. Replace your wellies too, as you are bound to need them now and you can wear them for Autumn walks later and with a pair of warm socks in the snow if we get any this year. Trainers are another casual wear staple. I personally prefer these Supergas or a pair of Converse to anything that resembles something you would exercise in, but choose what suits you best. And finally there had to be a scarf – great for keeping out any chills or for protecting your neck from the sun.

Here’s how to wear these casual capsule wardrobe staples:

mini casual capsule wardrobe

mini casual capsule wardrobe

mini casual capsule wardrobe

mini casual capsule wardrobe

Click links above or images below to shop:

14 Comments

1. Debbie
    August 5, 2015 / 12:41 pm

Hi Maria, I hope your also finding sometime to relax, whilst searching all these amazing articles for us, just for the record it is raining here in London today…. I love this mini Autumn wardrobe especially the Khaki Barbour Jacket , however the jacket is way above my price bracket, any ideas on where I might look for a similar jacket, perhaps on the High Street price range ??? Thank you Debbie

• Maria
      August 6, 2015 / 1:26 pm

Hi Debbie, thank you I am enjoying the change of scenery and taking some time off to potter too, and today we have sunshine! I have found this jacket for you which is a good budget alternative – http://bit.ly/1UpWJVP and this one is a bit more but being M&S is probably really good quality, and in 3 colours http://bit.ly/1gMeXmd

2. amanda cork
    August 6, 2015 / 1:36 pm

Hello Marie

I love your blog and follow it each week.
    Any chance of a plus size capsule wardrobe (size 22) for the coming seasons?
    Would love to see your inspiration.

Kindest regards
    Amanda

• amanda cork
      August 6, 2015 / 2:10 pm

so sorry Maria, I misspelt your name. Fingers going too quick!!

• Maria
        August 6, 2015 / 3:20 pm

No problem 🙂

• Maria
      August 6, 2015 / 3:20 pm

Hi Amanda, thank you for your lovely comments and the suggestion – good idea, I will put some thought into it as I think it would be useful to lots of my readers.

3. Debbie
    August 6, 2015 / 2:42 pm

Oh Maria you are a gem, I am a bit of a sucker for M&S, as you say quality is usually good, I did like the style of the khaki jacket but I’m not a huge fan of the colour, however I have fallen in love with the burgundy one from M&S, & it has gone straight to the top of my pay day priority list …. LOL Thank you very much Debbie

• Maria
      August 6, 2015 / 3:21 pm

I agree Debbie – I think there could be a lot of burgundy in my wardrobe this Autumn/winter!

4. Sue
    August 7, 2015 / 12:09 pm

Would love to see a plus size wardrobe too!
    As Amanda requested! Size 20 -22
    Not ruddy ruddy though!
    Thanks

• Maria
      August 8, 2015 / 5:33 pm

Will do, thank you Sue for commenting. I have some good sources for plus size so I am on to it!

5. Sue
    August 7, 2015 / 12:11 pm

Not fuddy duddy even!

• Maria
      August 8, 2015 / 5:34 pm

Oh that made me laugh!

6. Margaret Cooper
    August 8, 2015 / 5:37 pm

Hi I have just started following your blog and am so pleased with all your advice. I ordered the Barbour cardigan which arrived today. It is a darker navy in reality but a lovely piece and will be extremely useful moving into Autumn. Thanks. Margo

• Maria
      August 8, 2015 / 5:46 pm

Hi Margo thank you for your lovely comment and the feedback about the cardigan. I’m very tempted with it myself so I am glad to here that it’s just as good in the flesh.