As the weather has been so good for the last few weeks I am hoping we will have a long summer right through to late September. It’s often not worth spending a lot of money on high summer items because other than your holiday and a few days at home there isn’t the opportunity to wear them. But there are some that will work year after year. These are my personal must haves but you can adapt them to suit your lifestyle.
1. Linen T shirts – I prefer these to cotton as they seem to have more body and stay smarter longer but you these are basics to go with everything. White & peach from Boden.
2. Linen top, for me preferably with white as it looks fresh and goes with so much here from Phase Eight.
3. Kaftan top – great on it’s own on holiday or at home, with jeans, white trousers and cotton leggings. Here from East.
5. A dressy top to wear with smart trousers and skirts or even jeans for evenings out or special lunches. Here from Hobbs.
6. A cotton summer skirt – preferably a print that picks up colours you have in your plain tops. Here from White Stuff.
7. Crop trousers in a neutral colour, I’ve included chinos here but cropped linen or capris are good options too, for wearing with all of your tops. Here from Jigsaw.
8. White linen trousers – or if you prefer jeans or cotton trousers that can be dressed up and down with all of your tops. I just love a wide leg linen pair and get so much use from them in the summer. Here from Phase Eight.
9. A jersey dress – easy to wear and easy to pack for me a summer wardrobe staple. Here from Phase Eight.
10. A sundress in a pretty print, dress down with flip flops on holiday or up with heels for the day or evening. Here from Hobbs.
11. A maxi dress – this is one that always comes out on the hottest days and holidays so buy a lovely tropical print and wear it for many years to come. Here from Fat Face
12. A shrug or ballet wrap to keep off the chill on cooler days or evenings to work with your dresses and sleeveless tops. Here from Kettlewell Colours.
13. A coloured cardigan in a fine knit to wear with dresses and separates in an accent colour. Here from Jigsaw.
14. A white linen waterfall cardigan, looks lovely on bright days with dresses and your white trousers. Here from Phase Eight.
15. A coloured Tote for everyday and taking on holiday, here from DKNY.
16. A pretty clutch looks lovely with fresh whites and your dresses. Here from Aspiga.
17. A summer scarf in neutrals or pretty pastels. Here from Jigsaw.
18. Neutral wedges for everyday with all your outfits. Here from Phase Eight
19. Smart sandals for when you wear dressier outfits. Jigsaw.
20. A pair of pretty flats – they look great with everthing. Here from Steve Madden.
And a selection of outfits and how to wear your pieces:
What are your summer must haves?