It’s sale time again and a great chance to pick up a bargain. This year more than ever retailers are looking to recoup some of their lost revenue with bumper sales. In the past sale rails tended to be full of what no one wanted full price, but last week I managed to pick up a lovely top to wear over Christmas with 60% off the original price! If you are planning to hit the sales here are some top tips for scouting out bargains:
- For future reference get on the mailing list of your favourite stores/brands. They will often send their loyal customers advance warning of the sale and sometimes run preview sessions so you can get in first. If you aren’t on my email list this is another way that you can get early warning of sales or flash reductions as the companies I recommend will notify me before their sale or special reduction starts. Many of the online companies will do weekly offers such as 30% off knits.
- Have a list of any key wardrobe items you need or want to replace. When I had my shop we often had winter coats left in the sale, they are a great bargain which can be worn for years as long as they aren’t high fashion. This year the weather hasn’t been too cold yet so there is a good chance you will find some winter coat and boot bargains.
- Look for luxury items that are beyond your budget full price – cashmere, designer handbags and shoes. But only buy if you really love it and know you will get cost per wear from it. Yes I saw a half price Mulberry handbag last week but in an acid yellow suede it really wasn’t a sensible buy!
- Have a budget in mind before you shop. It’s so easy to get carried away with all those 50% and even some 75% off tickets tempting you. Scout around before buying to see what interests you, then decide based on your budget which items are real value.
- Enjoy – I’m not really someone who likes the shop sales, I think all those rails of unwanted items look so sad. I would rather shop in the online sales, try on at leisure and return if necessary. So shop the way you enjoy – why fight through the crowds if you really don’t enjoy this kind of shopping?
- Remember that unless an item is marked as faulty and you are aware of this when you buy it, you still have the right to return it if it is damaged. Some shops may only offer credit notes for returned (non faulty) goods rather than a refund so just check when you buy.
Happy bargain hunting – let me know what treasures you managed to secure in the comments below.
Here are some of my top sale picks:
Starting with coats – Faux Fur Coat from Pure collection was £379 now £189 Cashmere 3/4 Sleeve Cable Coat was £279 now £139Pure Collection double breasted wool coat was £249 now £99 Fenn Wright Manson wool & angora coat was £279 now £119 this coat is available in 4 colours but the classic camel will never date.
Great basics to grab on sale:
Wide leg black tuxedo trouser from Fenn Wright Manson with £100 off! now £49 Pure collection cashmere V neck sweater was £99 now £49 Isabella Oliver Perfect Long sleeve T was £39 now £27.30 Leather Pencil skirt from Fenn Wright Manson was £229 now £99
Ugg boots from my-wardrobe.com was £235 now £141 Mulberry Postmans lock clutch from my-wardrobe.com was £450 now £315 DKNY Tote from House of Fraser was £145 now £101.50 Sabrina Court shoe by L K Bennett from House of Fraser was 150 now £125