If you have been reading my blog for a while or have used any of my services, you will know that I use navy all the time. In fact it is probably my most used neutral, because it suits everyone, goes with everything and is the perfect choice if you want to smarten an outfit up. Navy is elegant, timeless and more flattering than black for most of us. So why wouldn’t you have it in your wardrobe?
There are 6 navy items that I think most wardrobes should have in navy.
Top 7 Navy Items…
- Navy blazer or jacket – If you work in an office, a navy blazer or smart jacket is a no brainer. It smartens up any outfit and gives you authority. Wear your navy blazer when you want to be listened to. But don’t just wear it to work, throw it on with casual chinos or jeans at the weekend. Here I have shown your navy blazer taking you from desk to dinner.
- Navy Tailored Trousers – These will take you from work, to smart casual weekend and even out in the evening. This season I’m wearing a cropped pair, but yours could be tapered, wide leg or straight legged, whatever suits your shape and your lifestyle.
- Navy Biker Jacket (optional 7th navy item) – If you are going to invest in a leather jacket, your best bet is navy. You will worry less about wearing it than a lighter colour and it will be flattering whatever your colouring. Wear it with the tailored trousers and cashmere sweater as shown below, or toughen up a feminine dress and heels.
Classic – Scarf //
- Navy cashmere sweater – If you choose a fine one you can wear it under a suit for work, layer it over a feminine tie neck blouse or a more casual shirt. You will wear it for 3 seasons of the year so choose the best quality you can afford and treat it with care. Hand wash it (I do mine on the hand wash programme in the machine) and invest in some cedar balls to prevent the moths getting at it. It will earn its cost per wear over skirts and dresses too.
- Navy Tote – choose one large enough to carry all your daily essentials. Look for one that has multiple compartments or pockets, an additional shoulder strap, and a zip top for security. Wear it with your work suit and weekend casuals. Tie a Twilly around the handles to add some colour and a French twist.
- Navy Court Shoes – Choose a pair with a comfortable heel height that works with dresses and trousers. If you are struggling to find the right colour accessories to go with an outfit your fallback can pretty much always be navy. So replace these as soon as they start to look worn, they will be your best friend in your shoe wardrobe!
- Navy Coat – By all means choose a coat in a colour you love as you will wear it a lot through the Autumn and Winter. However, good old navy is a classic that will never date, especially if you buy it in a timeless shape like this one. Wear it for smart and casual and with a touch of faux fur it’s glamorous enough for the evening or a smart lunch too.
When all else fails and you don’t know what to wear, choose navy – I believe it really does have magic powers 🙂 Then add a pop of one of your favourite colours.