If you have a Dress Down Friday (or any day for that matter) at work, what do you wear? I know in the days when I worked in an office Dress Down took one of two forms – those who just threw on a scruffy pair of jeans and a T-shirt or those who didn’t bother at all, because it was all too difficult and wore their everyday workwear. So I though it might be useful to give you some tips for Dress Down and this by the way, is different to Business Casual which we will cover next week.
- Remember that you are still at work and it will pay you to still be presentable – so keep your distressed jeans for the weekends.
- You don’t need to show how fashion forward you are in the office so leave your more on trend pieces for your off duty days.
- If you can wear jeans I would recommend a dark wash. which looks the smartest and a straight or flared leg (gives the illusion of long legs) rather than skin tight skinnies.
- Rather than trainers, wear an ankle boot or a pair of loafers.
- As you would with your smart workwear, make sure everything is in good condition – pressed, no hems down or buttons missing.
- If you have to meet clients and it is still appropriate to be in Dress Down, take a blazer to smarten the look up (as a courtesy if you have someone visiting your office let them know you have a Dress Down day so that they can choose to adopt it as well, rather than feel over dressed)
- Keep accessories smart and still in the best quality you can afford.
- Don’t believe that it doesn’t get noticed when you don’t make an effort.
- If you want to elevate your look wear a blazer or a soft jacket or choose a longline cardigan as an alternative.
Here are some suggestions at 3 budget levels:
If you would like a done for you business capsule wardrobe why not try the Style Club Executive Membership? You will receive a booklet containing a complete capsule wardrobe of 22 items and a month’s worth of outfits at two budget levels. Then each month you continue to subscribe, the capsule will be updated with new items and outfits including pieces for Dress Down, Business Casual and Corporate Entertaining. Plus you will also get all the other benefits of Style Club Membership.
Shop the post: