How wonderful has it been to at last get some summer weather? I’ve loved it. There is one problem though, getting your makeup to last in the heat and humidity without having a lovely shiny nose, creased eye shadow or smudged mascara! The answer isn’t to skip your moisturiser though – your skin needs it just as much. I’m either using a lighter moisturiser in a gel format for the days I’m in meetings and need foundation, or a tinted moisturiser for more relaxed days. Here are some of my favourite products and tips for a capsule wardrobe of summer makeup:
1. Switch to a lighter moisturiser (with spf) or a tinted moisturiser. My favourite moisturiser is Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturising Gel or Laura Mercier Illuminating Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20 worn with Clinique Super City Block SPF40 if I am going to be outside as I am now paranoid about getting my face burned! If your skin is very dry I can also recommend Bobbi Brown Extra SPF 25 Tinted Moisturizing Balm which unlike most tinted moisturisers comes in 8 colours.
2. If I’m wearing foundation I will still add the Clinique City Block and make it last by powdering well. I think a lot of women see powder as a dated product that our mother’s used to wear, but it’s the secret tool that professional makeup artists use to ensure staying power. Use a round cotton wool pad and press it into a loose powder, then press and roll it on to the skin. You can remove any excess with a big powder brush Boots No7 have a great collection of reasonably priced brushes. My favourites include powders include Bobbi Brown Sheer Finish loose powder and for touch ups during the day Laura Mercier Illuminating Powder which gives a gorgeous glow.
3. On to colour – for cheeks I love a cream or stick product which you can blend well and then give staying power with a touch of powder blush. Favourites include The Multiple by Nars a chubby stisk available in 14 colours. These are gorgeous shimmery cream to powder sticks which last ages. My other favourite cream option is Bobbi Brown pot rouge which you can also use on your lips. I set the cream with a powder bronzer in the summer – there are so many gorgeous ones on the market now. I love the Bobbi Brown shimmer bricks and the Illuminating Bronzing Powder which with names like Antigua and Bali Brown really get you in a summer mood!
4. I have raved in the past about favourite eye products and there is no change in my opinion or any new contenders to steel the crowns from my best loved products. So just in case you missed previous blogs the following three products form my can’t live without eye wear! First up is Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Cream Shadow I use Sandy Gold as my everyday base for any other eye colours I want to add. If you buy only one item of makeup this would be the one I recommend. One application last from morning through to evening and on the beach or by the pool on holiday (that’s my little rave over) I will often just use the Sandy Gold and a liner or will use one of the other colours, or a powder shadow, in the crease line. My two favourite long lasting eyeliners are Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner which is now available 13 colours. This needs to be applied with a very fine brush but again lasts and lasts. If you don’t have a steady hand my other favourite is by Stilla. The Stila Smudge Stick Waterproof Eyeliner has great staying power but it’s also really creamy to apply and the BF who has very sensitive eyes has no problem wearing it. It’s also a very reasonable £13 and comes in some stunning colours, my favourite being Moray. Finally my mascara of choice is Estée Lauder Double Wear Zero-Smudge Lengthening Mascara which I first had in a gift set and then went on to buy. It does what it says on the tin (or tube) zero smudge!
5. Finally to lips. I love a shimmery bronze or red for the summer months, but if you prefer more of a nude look I’d suggest you give your lips staying power by filling them in completely with a lip pencil in your chosen colour, then just adding a gloss. If you like to wear colour use the same trick with the liner but then add a layer of lipstick blot with a tissue and add a second layer. The pencil base give the lipstick something to adhere to and really makes your lipstick last. Some of my favourite lip treats for summer include Estée Lauder Pure Color Sensuous Rouge Lipstick in Nude Affair, Laura Mercier Shimmer Lip Colour in Copper and Italian Summer and Bobbi Brown Treatment Lip Shine in Sunset bronze.